Students must have been born on or before the date indicated for the session to be eligible for class. Classes are filled based on age with the oldest given the highest priority. Class rosters once developed are posted at the South Stokes High School Administrative office and online at the South Stokes Drivers Education webpage. Students will not receive a confirmation phone call; it is the students' responsibility to check the rosters. Students who are not on the roster will need to re-register during the next registration period. No-shows and student withdrawals from the course, without approval from the instructor, will not be eligible for the next course offered. Students must earn a passing score of 80 in the class AND complete 30 hours of in-class instruction to receive credit for the course.
Drivers Education Guidelines
- Students must be 14 and 1/2 years old on the first day of class.
- All classes will be held before or after the close of the school day.
- All students taking Driver Education must be enrolled in a Stokes County Schools, private, or home school. The revocation of a student's driving permit license will result if a student is unable to maintain adequate academic progress or drops out of school. Adequate academic progress is defined as: passing 3 of 4 block classes each semester. Private and Home Schooled students must handle academic eligibility through the Division of Nonpublic Instruction.
- Students must arrange for their own transportation to and from designated location, must be present at the assigned time, and picked up following the completion of class, or road work. Parents, please be prompt in picking up your children.
- Students must take 30 hours in-class and pass with an 80 to advance to the in-car training. Students will complete a minimum of 6 hours behind the wheel.
- Should a student fail Driver Education class work through poor academic performance, that student will be allowed to re-test but will not be allowed to re-enroll in a future class. Students who drop the course on or after the first day of class or miss too many days no refund will be given; they will be required to sit out the next session before re-registering - NO REFUND WILL BE GIVEN. Driver education is not pass/fail; students must earn a passing score. Please make sure your child is serious about driver education, and they have no schedule conflicts during the duration of the course before allowing them to register.
- Driver education registration will be held several times during the school year. It is the students' responsibility to register for driver education at the appropriate time. This information is found on the SSHS webpage. When there is no registration form available below; registration is closed. Periodically students should check the web page for any new information about driver education. Registration is always announced repeatedly during the registration period.
- Further information regarding Driver Education in NC may be found HERE under Frequently Asked Questions.
Thank you for your interest in NC Driver Education!